Siribhinya Benyajati, Ph.D.
- Associate Professor of Physiology
- Graduate Liaison for the Physiology Graduate Programs
- Epithelial Transport
- Renal and Comparative Physiology
- Mentoring and Training Trainees in Biomedical Sciences especially Junior Physiologists
- Development of Women and Minority Trainees Engaged in Physiological Studies
- B.Sc. (First Class Honor & University Medal): Physiology, University of New England, Australia (1973)
- Ph.D.: Physiology, Brown University, RI (1977)
- Postdoctoral National Kidney Foundation Fellowship and NIH Training Grant Postdoctoral Fellowship: Renal and Comparative Physiology, University of Arizona, AZ (1978-1986)
My research interests center on comparative epithelial transport physiology and comparative renal function, specifically the role of renal membrane transport of taurine in cellular and organismic volume regulation (on-going collaboration with J. Larry Renfro, Ph.D., Chair, Department of Physiology & Neurobiology, University of Connecticut).
Recent efforts focus on the training, mentoring, and development of trainees in physiological sciences, particularly women and minorities. I teach renal physiology to medical, dental, pharmacy, physician assistant and graduate students. I direct the Physiology Graduate Programs and am committed to the improvement of the program at the Health Sciences Center. I share my passion for Physiology and mentoring with students/trainees locally and nation-wide through the American Physiological Society. I am particularly involved in the development of women and minority students in physiology at the national level: chairing the national committee on Women in Physiology, conducting national professional development workshops, and participating in e-mentoring activities.
- Benyajati, S. (2008) Mock Interview and Negotiation Video. Developed (initiated ideas, script writer, producer, video editor) for the 2008 Mentoring Symposium on “Gainfully Employed: From Luanching a Job Search to Navigating Negotiations”: http://www.the-aps.org/careers/careers1/workshop/08wrkshp.htm#Mock_Interview_and_Negotiation_Video.
- Benyajati, S. (2008) Potential Interview Questions. 2008 Mentoring Symposium on “Gainfully Employed: From Luanching a Job Search to Navigating Negotiations”: http://www.theaps.org/careers/careers1/workshop/pdfs/Potential%20interview%20questions.pdf
- Benyajati, S. (2007) Mentoring Forum: Finding teaching experiences during your postdoc. The Physiologist 50 (6): 256-257.
- Benyajati, S. (2007) Mentoring Advice & Discussion Forum Online: Finding teaching experiences during your postdoc (with additional comments from members of the American Physiological Society). http://www.the-aps.org/career/careers1/mentor/postdocteach.htm.
- Benyajati, S. and J.L. Renfro (2000) Taurine secretion in primary monolayer cultures of flounder renal epithelium: stimulation by low osmolality. Am. J. Physiol. Regulatory Integrative Comp. Physiol. 279: R704-R712.
Office telephone: (405) 271-2132